Book Review | The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2015 12:00 AM



Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: November 11, 2014
My Rating: 6 out of 5 Stars




After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual.

This year, it is my turn.

My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power.

But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.

Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…



My Thoughts:



Okay, I just want to say up front that this will probably be more of a fangirl session than an actual review because HOLY FREAKING ALIEN BABIES THIS BOOK IS AMAZING! You'll have to forgive me if this review doesn't make much sense, I will attempt to put my feelings into coherent words and sentences that will convey exactly how much I loved this one, but I make no promises.

I hadn't really heard of this book until a few weeks ago when I saw it on a bunch of lists for favorites of 2014, of course that grabbed my attention, so I done what any good stalker blogger would do, I went to Goodreads and read the summary, and then I knew that I HAD TO HAVE IT. So I got it and I read it, and I completely fell in love with this world and these characters.
 
Ivy Westfall has spent her entire life preparing for this moment, the moment when she becomes Mrs. Lattimer. But her wedding day isn't all sunshine and rainbows. You see, Ivy lives in a world where you don't choose who you marry and normally no one knows who they are going to be marrying until right before they say I do. Except for Ivy. She has known that Bishop Lattimer, son of President Lattimer, would be her husband for years and she has been preparing ever since, not for the duty of becoming his wife, but to kill him.
 
Believe it or not, I actually felt a connection with Ivy, which was weird considering what she was planning to do, but as I read and got to know her, I realized that she was actually a good person who was only doing what her father and sister told her was the right thing. Everything was planned and Ivy was set to bring down the Lattimer's, but she quickly learns that Bishop is not the monster her family made him out to be.
 
I absolutely loved the slow building romance between Ivy and Bishop. I wasn't sure what to expect at first since we only have Ivy's side of the story and we only know what her family has told her. But once you get to know Bishop it's easy to see that he is a really great guy, and so unlike everything Ivy was taught.
 
Overall, The Book of Ivy is an amazing and intriguing read that shows that there is always two sides to every story and to be careful who you trust. The writing is impeccable and the story flows flawlessly. Engel knows how to draw the reader in and keep them entertained throughout, I was constantly flipping the pages, dying to find out what happened next and I could not stop until the last page. This is one not to be missed and I now understand why it made so many favorites lists, it'll definitely make mine.
 
 


 


author image

Christy

Christy is a 27 year old wife, mother, nursing student and self proclaimed book addict. When she's not busy spending time with her family or learning to save lives, you can find her with a book in her hands, and a smile on her face.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0