Early Book Review | Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller

Posted on Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:30 AM




Format: e-ARC

Source: Netgalley

Pages: 352

Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens

Publication Date: September 24, 2013

( Goodreads / Amazon )

Stolen as a child from her large and loving family, and on the run with her mom for more than ten years, Callie has only the barest idea of what normal life might be like. She's never had a home, never gone to school, and has gotten most of her meals from laundromat vending machines. Her dreams are haunted by memories she’d like to forget completely. But when Callie’s mom is finally arrested for kidnapping her, and Callie’s real dad whisks her back to what would have been her life, in a small town in Florida, Callie must find a way to leave the past behind. She must learn to be part of a family. And she must believe that love--even with someone who seems an improbable choice--is more than just a possibility.

Trish Doller writes incredibly real teens, and this searing story of love, betrayal, and how not to lose your mind will resonate with readers who want their stories gritty and utterly true.
 
Where the Stars Still Shine was one of my most anticipated reads of 2013 and I'm happy to report that it was even better than I was expecting.  Trish Doller's writing is absolutely amazing and I can honestly say that I will read anything and everything she ever writes.
 
Seventeen year old Callie doesn't know what it's like to stay in one place for long.  Callie's mom, Veronica, kidnapped her when she was younger so they have spent most of Callie's life on the run.  When Callie and her mom get pulled over while on their way to yet another town, the police arrest Veronica and send Callie back to the dad that she doesn't remember.  
 
Callie doesn't immediately settle into her new life in Florida with her dad, instead it takes some time for her to get used to staying in one place and it takes even longer for her to get used to the fact that she has family and friends who care about her. 
 
Callie was very easy to like, she's been through so much in her short life but it doesn't leave her hard like it would most people.  I absolutely loved Alex, he's so charming and caring and he is exactly what Callie needs.  Kat is also another character that I instantly liked, she is a great friend who was always there for Callie whenever she needed her. 
 
Overall, Where the Stars Still Shine is a wonderful and heartbreaking story that will have you thinking about it long after it's over. 
 
 
 


5 comments:

  1. I was going to say I hadn't heard of this one before, but when I went to add it to Goodreads, I already had! I'm aware of SO many books coming out on 9/24. That's going to be a really crowded date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an interesting premise. I've been reading more contemporary YA lately and I've been enjoying them so maybe I'll pick this one up when it comes out. Glad you liked it so much--great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one. Honestly, I only skimmed your review... I'm one of those weird ones that won't read reviews right before reading the book myself, and I have this one coming up for review very soon. Glad to see another positive rating for it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited to get a review copy of this book. It was one of my most highly anticipated books of fall and it was exactly what I wanted. Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear it was even better than you expected! It's coming up on my reading schedule really soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0