CBA Disucssions | Changes in Reading Habits

Posted on Friday, August 9, 2013 2:00 AM
 

If you’ve read my About Me page then you know that Twilight was the series that got me started reading.  After I finished that series and after re-reading it a few times, I went crazy reading every vampire book that I could get my hands on.  I mean, I went through Vampire Academy, House of Night, Morganville Vampires, Vampire Kisses, Vampire Diaries, Black Dagger Brotherhood, Night Huntress, Chicagoland Vampires, Sookie Stackhouse, and I’m sure there are a few more that I’m forgetting.  I was completely obsessed with vampires.  
 
 
 
Looking back, I really don’t know why I didn’t try other paranormal books that first year after I started reading. Maybe it was because I had just started reading and I didn’t know they were out there or maybe I thought since I loved Twilight that I would only like book about vampires. Whatever the reason, it took me a while to actually try something else.

 I wish I could remember the book that got me out of my vampire phase and into other genres and I have racked my brain trying to remember what it was, but for the life of me I just can’t.  I can tell you some of the ones that I read (Mercy Thompson, Fever Series, Hush, Hush) but as far as pinpointing the exact book that got me to branch out, I can’t.  But regardless of what book it was, I am grateful, because if I had stuck JUST to vampires I probably wouldn’t be the reader that I am today, and I would have missed out on some great stories. 
 
I’m also grateful that I came across Book Blogs and that one day I suddenly decided to start a blog of my own, because blogging has really helped me grow as a reader.  I have had the opportunity to try out different genres that I normally wouldn’t have tried otherwise and because of that I am now pretty good at guessing which books I will like and which books I most likely won’t like.

As a reader, my reading habits have changed so much in the four years since I was forced to read Twilight (Thank you, Amanda!) I’m proud to say that I have branched out to everything from Horror to Contemporary, whether it is YA, NA or Adult, although my favorite is and probably always will be YA.  

 

Talk to me

 

How has your reading habits changed? Did you start out with a specific genre?  Let me know in the comments.   



2 comments:

  1. I used to read mostly "adult" novels, but for the past 8 months or so I've been reading mostly YA. I started off reading dystopian, but then moved to sci-fi, fantasy, and paranormal. Recently I've been branching out a bit and reading some contemporary YA. I'm basically just reading what interests me right now! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started off only reading the "popular" YA book series but now I am definitely branching out into a wide variety of YA genres. I am also reading fewer non YA books these days because I want to be able to contribute to the blog. ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0