Book Review | Pivot Point by Kasie West

Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:00 AM


Series: Pivot Point #1

Format: ARC

Source: Traded

Publisher: Harper Teen

Publication Date: February 12, 2013

Pages: 352


 
 
 
Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.
 
I’ve noticed that lately I haven’t been reading the summaries before I start a book, so when I first picked up Pivot Point, I really didn’t know what to expect.  But I have to say that I’m glad I didn’t read the summary before starting this book, it made the experience so much better.
 
Addison (Addie) Coleman has always lived in the Compound.  The Compound is a community that is mostly shut off from the outside world so that the people with special gifts can be themselves without having to worry about the Normal people finding out.
 
Addie’s power is called Divergence or Clairvoyance.  When faced with a choice, Addie has the ability to ‘search’ the future for both possibilities and see which outcome would be the best for her and leave her with the least amount of regrets.
 
Addie doesn’t usually like to Search her choices but when her parents announce that they are getting a divorce and her dad is moving out of the compound, they give Addie the opportunity to decide who she wants to live with.  So Addie does a Search on the possible futures of both worlds to decide.  Each chapter alternates between each possible reality so I really thought that I would have a problem connecting with either one of her futures, but I’m happy to say that this did not happen.
 
This book has some amazing characters.  Addie is wonderful and she was very easy to relate to.  She’s very sweet, has a great sense of humor and she loves books.  I also liked seeing how the friendship between Laila and Addie worked since their personalities are so different.   I adored Trevor, he’s so sweet and kind and I loved how the relationship formed between him and Addie.  I kind of liked Duke in the beginning, but as the story went on I became kind of untrusting of him.
 
Overall, Pivot Point is a stunning debut novel.  The writing was absolutely amazing, the plot is so unique and the story flowed flawlessly.  Kasie West is without a doubt an author to look out for; I can’t wait to read more of her books.


 
 

2 comments:

  1. I loved Pivot Point too and I can't wait to read the sequel because I want to find out what happens! Kasie West is one of my new favorite authors. If you haven't read The Distance Between Us, you should definitely read it! Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot agree less about this review! I am working on mine right now actually. The friendship between Addie and Laila is so surprising - they are so different but they connect so well! AND TREVOR>>>> AHHHH.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0