Book Review | I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:30 AM


Series: Jasper Dent # 1

Format: Paperback

Source: Purchased

Publisher: Little, Brown and Company

Publication Date: April 3, 2012

Pages: 361


 

 
What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad?

Jasper "Jazz" Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say.

But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could—from the criminal's point of view.

And now bodies are piling up in Lobo's Nod.

In an effort to clear his name, Jazz joins the police in a hunt for a new serial killer. But Jazz has a secret—could he be more like his father than anyone knows?

To say that Jasper ‘Jazz’ Dent had an unusual upbringing is a huge understatement.  After all, Jazz’s father is Billy Dent, the most world’s most notorious serial killer.  As if having a serial killer for a father isn’t bad enough, Dear Old Dad also took his son with him on multiple kills while Jazz was growing up and he also taught Jazz everything he knew on how to kill in hope that Jazz would someday become just like him. 
 
 Jazz hates the fact that he can think like a serial killer in fear that he may become one someday but as it turns out it’s the very thing that may help him catch the killer who is copying his father’s first kills. 
 
 Jazz was a very interesting character, he was smart and caring.  The only thing that bothered me about him was that he had a TON of self doubt.  I can understand where it comes from and why he’s scared, but there were parts in this book where it felt like it was about nothing but his doubt.  I also really liked him and Connie as a couple.  Connie is a very strong girl, she speaks her mind and I feel like she is exactly what Jazz needs.
 
I absolutely loved Howie and I found myself looking forward to the parts that he was in.  He just has such a great sense of humor and I was constantly laughing out loud over some of the things he would say.  He’s also such a great friend to Jazz and that’s rare in a lot of YA books that I’ve read recently.   
 
Gramma was another one that had me laughing. I know that she’s a sick old lady and half the time she didn’t know what she was saying or doing, but damn, that old woman could make me laugh.
 
I Hunt Killers is an incredibly suspenseful read.  It will have you constantly guessing who the killer is.  I was wrong about the killer in this book, but based on its shocking ending, I still may be somewhat right, I know that sounds kind of weird, but I can’t explain it or I will give things away so you will just have to read it to find out what I mean. 
 
 

Favorite Quotes
 
“We need to move quickly,” Jazz said.  “There’s a rent-a-cop who comes by every hour.”
Howie craned his neck, gawking.  “This place is nothing like on CSI.”
“What did you expect?”
“I guess I expected CSI,” Howie said, miffed.  “Otherwise, why would I have said –“

***********************
 
“Have the lambs stopped screaming, Clarice?” Howie said suddenly in a dead-on Hannibal Lector impression.
“Stop that!”
“Well, I don’t understand why you have to see the body,” Howie complained, hugging himself for warmth.  “She’s dead.  She had a finger chopped off.  You knew that already.”

***********************

Gramma stumbled into the kitchen from the other room, still laughing.  “I think I peed myself.  A little.  Maybe.  I think.” Her eyes lit up.  “Oh look! Chicken! From Kentucky!”  (Yes, I had to include this one, after all, I am from Kentucky ;) )
 


 
 

2 comments:

  1. This book already sounds so awesome, just by that title. I like the idea of a teen growing up with a serial killer father. From your rating, it certainly sounds like the concept was handled well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds so awesome! I love books that keep my second guessing until the very end. Glad you enjoyed this one :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0