Early Book Review | This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales

Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:00 AM

Format: e-ARC

Source: Netgalley

Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Publication Date: September 17, 2013

Pages: 288

( Goodreads / Amazon )






Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.
Do you want to know how much I loved this book? I read the whole thing on my computer in ONE day and I absolutely HATE to read books on my computer.  This Song Will Save Your Life is such a heart-wrenching and beautiful story.

Elise Dembowski has always been the odd girl out, no one has every gone out of their way to talk to her or try to be her friend.  The summer before her Sophomore year, Elise decides to try and be popular so she spends her entire summer reading fashion magazines and doing research on all of the 'cool' things.  On the first day of school, Elise realizes that all of her hard work has failed, she nearly gives up on life.

Fast forward six months later and everything has slowly went back to normal.  Elise is still being either picked on or ignored at school and she is still trying to figure out who she is.  All of this changes when she stumbles upon Vicky and Pippa and a underground nightclub. 

My heart broke for Elise, I just wanted to jump in this book and give her a hug and tell her that everything would be ok.  I also really liked Vicky and Harry, it was such a blessing that Elise ran into Vicky, everything might have turned out completely different if she didn't.

Some people might not understand how music can save or change your life, but I get it.  Even now at 25 years old, if I have a bad day at work or my husband irks me the first thing I do is grab my IPod so I can drown everything else out. 

Overall, This Song Will Save Your Life is raw, emotional, inspiring and honest.  It's one of those books that will have you thinking back to your high school days and praying you weren't one of those people who hurt someone so bad that they got to the point of thinking life isn't worth it.  This Song Will Save Your Life is one of the best books that I have read this year and it's a book that I would recommend it to anyone.



5 comments:

  1. I agree, music really calms me down too. I feel so much more relaxed. I love emotional books, so this one sounds like a winner. I will definitely be checking this one out!

    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your review makes this book sound amazing. I love the fact that music plays such an important part of the story. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one does sound pretty emotional! Great reivew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever read a negative review of this book. It sounds absolutely amazing... I'm trying to stay grounded in my expectations.

    I agree with you too. I usually listen to super uplifting music just to get some energy in the mornings.

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  5. GAH! I really really want to read this book. I've read so many good reviews of it! And yours seems no different. I'm intrigued by the music-saving-one's-life aspect :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0