Review: Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:30 AM


Series: Delirium #3

Format: ARC

Source: Traded

Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books

Publication Date: March 5, 2013

Pages: 391

 Goodreads | Amazon





They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.
I really have no idea how to write this review, I really enjoyed this book for the most part, but that ending...WTF.  I have never been so disappointed in the ending of a series as much as I was after finishing Requiem.  It took everything in me not to sling the book across the room.

In Requiem we follow Lena and her group as the search for a place that's safe in the Wilds.  As you can imagine, their journey is in no way easy especially with regulators searching the Wilds for Invalids.  Lena and her group have to fight to protect what's theirs more than once during their journey.  I feel like Lena stepped up a lot more in this book, there was times when she put her life on the line in order to help someone else from the group.

This book also follows the life of Hana as she adjusts to life after the cure and as she prepares to marry Mayor Fred Hargrove.  At the beginning I really didn't think I would like reading from Hana's POV, but as it turns out I really enjoyed seeing what Hana was like after the cure.  I really like Hana but I wish she would have stood up for herself and what she wanted. 

I really didn't like the way that Alex acted in this book, at times it kind of seemed like he had two different personalities.  I liked Julian a lot more in Requiem, like Lena he also stepped up and put his life on the line.

There was a ton of action and not once did I get bored while reading this book BUT I can not get past that ending.  When I read the ending to a series I like to have some kind of closure for the characters but there in this series ender, there is NONE.  We don't find out what happens with Hana, if the Invalids win the war, or who Lena chooses.  We get an idea of who she will choose but she doesn't actually choose.

I was torn on what rating to give this book, but since I enjoyed the book up until that stupid non-ending ending, I think I'm going to go with 3 stars.







3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I enjoyed the book, but that ending was such a disappointment. And I wanted so much more of Alex in this book. I actually was a little bored with Hana's story. It was nice to see, but this book would have been a lot better if we would have also had Alex's POV. And just more conversations and resolution. At least give us an Epilogue! It's ten years later and here's what's going on... I still consider this series one of my favorites! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you! I really disliked the ending, it felt so incomplete and I was left with a lot of questions. Alex was acting quite weird in this book, yes. I really didn't like the love triangle Lauren Oliver created in this book. After such great books, this last one was a big disappointment..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm completely with you; the ending line were beautiful i'm not going to lie but thats no way to end a book let alone an entire series, I had so many unanswered questions and actually filled back to the last page HOPING some would just magically appear!

    Anyways, I was just wondering how you get ARC's i'm a new blogger and is very interested but i have no idea how to get them. Hoping you could enlighten me!

    My blog name is http://straightfromthereadersmouth.blogspot.com If you ever wanna take a look or even follow (: I would really appreciate it!

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0