Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2013 8:56 AM

 
Series: The 5th Wave #1

Format: Hardcover

Source: Bought

Publisher: Putnam Juvenile

Pages: 457

Publication Date: May 7, 2013

( Goodreads Amazon )

 
The Passage meets Ender’s Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.







This book has been sitting on my TBR shelf since its release date because I had so many review books that I needed to read first that I had to put it on the backburner for a while. Well, I still have a bunch of review books that I need to read but after seeing all of the glowing reviews on this book, I just could not take it anymore, I HAD to read the 5th Wave and I’m so glad that I did, this book is fantastic.

17 year old Cassie will do anything to find her little brother who was taken from her. Cassie is one bad ass teenage girl. Most people would break if they had been through everything that she has, but Cassie comes out stronger. One of Cassie’s rules to survive is to not trust anyone, but when mysterious Evan saves her she doesn’t really have a choice but to put a little trust in him. 

Ben and Ringer are at Camp Haven. Camp Haven is a place where kids are trained to be solders. Ben and Ringer are amongst many that think they are training to fight against the aliens, but with everything that is happening around them, can they be absolutely certain that people in charge are actually human? I really liked that this story was told in multiple POVs. I don’t think the story would have been as strong as it was if we only had Cassie’s perspective. 

The 5th Wave is packed with non-stop action and twists that will have you gripping the edge of your seat. I would definitely recommend this to fans of the post-apocalyptic/dystopian genre as well as fans of the television show Falling Skies. I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book in this series.


“Maybe the last human being on Earth won’t die of starvation or exposure or as a meal for wild animals.
Maybe the last one to die will be killed by the last one alive” - PG 15

“I may be the last one, but I am the one still standing. I am the one turning to face the faceless hunter in the woods on an abandoned highway.  I am the one not running, not staying but facing.
Because if I am the last one, then I am humanity
And if this is humanity’s last war, then I am the battlefield” – PG 101


 

4 comments:

  1. This book is indeed very amazing! And agree with you, the story might not be as amazing as it was if it was told all from Cassie's viewpoint.
    I especially love Ben's PoV :D It's really interesting, and I don't know, it's totally fun to read his inner thought and about just how he loathe Reznik :D

    Nice review!

    Neysa @ [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many good things about this book that I can't wait to read it! Great review and I like the idea of multiple POV in this type of story. Ciara @ Books are my Bling

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read one bad thing about this book yet! I NEED to finally go out and get my own copy! Thank you for the awesome review!

    Lisa
    Become Blogger of the Week
    http://turningpages94.blogspot.com/p/blogger-of-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard tons of great things about this one as well! It sounds really amazing though I still haven't even purchased a copy of it yet. :o I'm glad to see that you really enjoyed it though! I definitely need to purchase a copy soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0