Book Review | Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:30 AM
Beautiful Oblivion (Maddox Brothers, #1)Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication Date: July 1, 2014
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster phenomenon continues in the first heart-pounding new adult romance in The Maddox Brothers series.


Fiercely independent Camille "Cami" Camlin gladly moved on from her childhood before it was over. She has held down a job since before she could drive, and moved into her own apartment after her freshman year of college. Now tending bar at The Red Door, Cami doesn’t have time for much else besides work and classes, until a trip to see her boyfriend is cancelled, leaving her with a first weekend off in almost a year.

Trenton Maddox was the king of Eastern State University, dating co-eds before he even graduated high school. His friends wanted to be him, and women wanted to tame him, but after a tragic accident turned his world upside down, Trenton leaves campus to come to grips with the crushing guilt.

Eighteen months later, Trenton is living at home with his widower father, and works full-time at a local tattoo parlor to help with the bills. Just when he thinks his life is returning to normal, he notices Cami sitting alone at a table at The Red.

As the baby sister of four rowdy brothers, Cami believes she’ll have no problem keeping her new friendship with Trenton Maddox strictly platonic. But when a Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever—even if she is the only reason their already broken family could fall apart.

In the first installment of the Maddox Brothers books, readers can experience the rush of reading Beautiful Disaster for the first time, all over again.


My Thoughts:

I’m sure fans of the Disaster books were ecstatic to get their hands on another Maddox brother book and I was no exception. I had this book pre-ordered a month before the release date and as soon as it came in the mail, I dropped everything to start reading it. I was expecting the same wild ride that we got in the Disaster books but it turns out that wasn’t the case. While Trenton is kind of man whore and has a bad temper, he’s much more controlled than Travis.

Don’t get me wrong, Trent is a Maddox so of course he flies off the handle, but he seems to be able to reign in back in fairly easy. Cami is the opposite, she isn’t really the type to let her temper rule her, she’s much more level headed, which is exactly what Trent needs.

Going into this book I didn’t know that Beautiful Oblivion follows the same timeline as BD, while I was expecting this to take place after, it really didn’t bother me that much. I really liked the fact that we get the Pigeon tattoo scene in this book, I can’t believe I didn’t know that Trent was the one who gave Travis the tattoo…I either missed that little tidbit in BD and WD or I’ve forgotten more than I thought about those books.

I really loved the secondary characters in this book too, Hazel cracked me up and Raegan was an amazing friend to Cami, even though she was going through some boy troubles of her own. I really like the family vibe that Red and Skin Deep had. You could feel the love and respect that they had for one another and that’s extremely rare now days.

Overall, Beautiful Oblivion was just as compelling and unputdownable as BD and WD. I’m sure fans of the Disaster books will fall in love with Trent just as much as they did Travis.


---Christy

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0