ARC Book Review | Some Boys by Patty Blount

Posted on Monday, July 28, 2014 4:30 AM

Format: e-ARC
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: August 5, 2014
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Some boys go too far. Some boys will break your heart. But one boy can make you whole.

When Grace meets Ian she's afraid. Afraid he'll reject her like the rest of the school, like her own family. After she accuses the town golden boy of rape, everyone turns against Grace. They call her a slut and a liar. But...Ian doesn't. He's funny and kind with secrets of his own.

But how do you trust the best friend of the boy who raped you? How do you believe in love?

A gut-wrenching, powerful love story told from alternating points of view by the acclaimed author of Send.


My Thoughts:


Haunting, emotional and gut wrenching, Some Boys tells the heart breaking story of a seventeen year old girl trying to deal with not only getting raped, something NO GIRL SHOULD EVER HAVE TO SUFFER but the fallout after the fact. The boy who hurt her is the most popular guy in school and everyone takes his side and no one believes her, her friends stop talking to her, people start harassing her and calling her crude names.

I don’t know if I can even explain the emotion this book brought out in me. I was sad for Grace, I was angry with the way people treated her, at times I was disappointed with Ian and Grace’s dad. It was just a rollercoaster of emotion and that my friends is when you know you are reading a good book. Any book that can send me from tears to flat out rage within a paragraph is definitely one that deserves praise.

Like I said above, Grace is trying so hard to stay strong and deal with everything that has happened to her, because she knows that if she takes her mom up on the offer of going abroad for a semester then Zac wins. But with everyone making her life a living Hell, it just gets harder but Grace is a fighter. Ian, what can I say about him? I could tell from the beginning that he wasn’t as bad as his friends, he didn’t go out of his way to harass Grace, but then again he didn’t stand up for her either. It isn’t until he’s forced to work with Grace that he starts getting to know her, and starts questioning everything his ‘buddy’ Zac tells him about THAT night.

Another thing that I liked about this book is that the parents are present and active in the kids’ lives. Yeah, at times I was so disappointed with Grace’s dad and I wondered how in the hell he could treat her that way but light gets shed on his reactions at the end of the book and I can kind-of get where he’s coming from, KIND-OF. Grace’s mom and Ian’s dad though, were wonderful. Grace’s mom was always there when she needed her and she didn’t get upset about little things Grace would do to try and make herself feel safer. Ian’s dad was also very respectful towards Grace and he didn’t treat her like someone who was broken or someone who was lying, like everyone else was doing.

Some Boys is an emotional and heart wrenching story that sheds light on rape and bullying. I think a lot of the time teenagers don’t realize the effect that their words or actions can have on someone else, but regardless that doesn’t make bullying ok in any way shape or form and maybe if books like this or Thirteen Reasons Why was made assigned reading in high school, it might make them think twice before saying crude things to someone.


--- Christy


1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! It definitely appears to be very emotional but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, right? Adding it to TBR

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0