CBA Discussion | Does Your Mood Affect Your Reviews?

Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:00 AM
 
 

The reason I decided to do a post on this topic is because the other day when I was writing a review I noticed that I got a little silly. I don’t know if it was because I was up most of the night before with my 8 month old so I was pretty tired (Yes, I admit that my personality changes quite a bit just a little when I’m sleep deprived) or if I finally just thought of something witty to say while I was writing it.
 
emma stone gifs photo:  tumblr_m1yy41nLPV1r21vhmo1_500.gif


 
So after I got done writing this witty line in my review, I thought "hmmm…that’s different" because I RARELY think of anything clever to say. Honestly, I’m the type of person that thinks of a comeback weeks later and when I do, I really struggle to keep from calling someone up and saying "you know that thing you said two weeks ago? Well, guess what…."
 
supernatural gif photo: Supernatural. Super44.gif
 

Sorry, I got a little sidetracked there (did I mention that I have a short attention span also?). My point is, this got me to wondering if our moods affect how we write reviews or rate books. If we are in a bad mood, is our reviews a little snarkier? Or if we are in a happy mood are we a little more generous with our rating?

I, for one think that my mood does play a factor in not only rating books and writing reviews but also reading books. I can’t tell you how many times that I’ve picked a book up and just wasn’t in the mood for it so I put it down. Then when I finally do read it, I fall in love with it. Spider’s Bite by Jennifer Estep and Pretty Girl 13 by Liz Coley are two that I can think of off the top of my head that this happened with.


Now, I want your opinion. Do you think mood has any role in the way that you rate your books or write your reviews? Do you think your mood affects what you decide to read?


 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm well I've never thought about that before! I guess I never really pay much attention to my mood whenever I read or write reviews, because the general emotion during that time is happiness-- I love to read books and write reviews both, so it's hard for me to feel anything else, and even if I do, they're usually overwritten by the emotions I gather from the content of the book I read, which then influences the review I give it. So yeah, I guess I tend to close myself off from my mood :D Anyway, thanks for sharing this quirky post, Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my mood has an impact in me more while I'm reading the book than it does when I'm writing a review. Like if I'm not in a romancey mood because im mad at my husband and the couple in the book are all cutesy, it may effect how much I like the book. I guess there have been times where I'm not in a writing mood and I'm sure that effects the quality... Cool discussion idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mood definitely affects what book I choose to read and then how I feel when I'm reading the book (which in turn will influence my review). I'm the same way, sometimes I'll pick up a book and start reading it and I'm just not in the mood for that particular type of book I do find I'm a bit more critical of books if I've read a lot of that type and I feel like I'm reading the same story over and over. Great topic of discussion! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0