What Do You Consider Spoilers?

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2015 12:00 AM
Christy: Spoilers...it's a subject that I'm sure everyone knows about.  I'm also sure that everyone knows how easy it is to come across a spoiler that wasn't marked and I don't know about everyone else, but that can absolutely ruin a book or movie or TV show for me.  I always try to watch what I say on social media or on the blog because I know how bad I hate when someone spoils something for me. 

Personally, I think revealing a major plot point or saying who a character ends up with is a spoiler.  I don't necessary think that stating that a book has a cliffhanger is one, nor do I think that mentioning something that happens within the first couple of chapters is a spoiler. 

While I don't mind knowing whether a book has a cliffhanger or not, if I'm reading a heartbreaking book, I DO NOT want to know if it ends with a HEA, I think that would just take away some of the heartbreaking feels, and I love my heartbreaking feels.



As for me, when I'm writing my reviews, I always reference the summary and I'm very hesitant to mention something that isn't revealed in it.  Most of the time if I see something that isn't mentioned in the summary, I won't bring it up in my reviews.

Now that I've shared the things I consider spoilers, I really want to get everyone's opinion on what exactly they consider a spoiler.  Do you think saying whether or not a book has a happy ending or a cliffhanger is a spoiler?  How about mentioning something that happens very early on in a book?  Be sure to let us know in the comments!



Erica: Okay, I agree with Christy I hate spoilers. Before when I had my other blog (should I even call it mine because I had it for only a week or so, but whatever) I added spoilers to my review -- not sure why, but I did. Now, after seeing Christy's reviews and the way she writes them I'm glad I leave out any inkling of a spoiler.

So, you ask me what I think is a spoiler? I basically agree with Christy for the most part, but for the first time ever, I think I may disagree with Christy (say whaaaa?).


 I hate when I know how the ending is. The whole if it's a happy ending isn't as bad, but when I know that there is a cliffhanger...NO! I don't like knowing that there is a second book or whatever. I want to think that the book is ending. If I know that it isn't I will start guessing where it will end, I will just make myself go insane.

But, just because I go insane doesn't mean it will make others go insane with me. Some people actually like to know whether or not the book will continue on. But, for me that is a spoiler and I hate knowing. So, if any of you recommend me a book - don't tell me how awesome or sad or happy the ending is (hehe).

I want to feel all the feels. I do not want one ounce of my feelings to be torn away because someone says it's good or bad. I want to cry all the tears and eat all the chocolates.



If I find out something at the beginning of the book, that's not bad. I like knowing a little about what others think of the characters before going in so hearing stuff from the beginning actually makes me happy.

So, my fellow book lovers, what do you consider a spoiler?

author image

Christy

Christy is a 27 year old wife, mother, nursing student and self proclaimed book addict. When she's not busy spending time with her family or learning to save lives, you can find her with a book in her hands, and a smile on her face.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0