INKED | Author Katie Young

Posted on Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:00 AM



 
Please welcome today's guest, author Katie Young!
 




Name: Katie Young

Website: www.katieyoungauthor.com

Tell us a little about yourself: My name is Katie. I am the author of the dark paranormal novel, The Other Lamb. I also write short stories, film and TV reviews for an entertainment site called The Cult Den, and I’m writing a second book. By day, I work for a well-known children’s TV channel, in the original programming department. I love music and I love to sing. I still haven’t quite accepted the fact that I will never front a world famous rock band. I’m learning to hula-hoop with an eye to doing it with fire one day. My to-do list is too long and my days too short. I live in South East London with my partner of twelve years. Luckily, he doesn’t seem to mind that I spend more time with my imaginary friends than with him!




When did you get your first tattoo? I think I was sixteen. Underage anyway! I had a small black and white sketch of an angel, which I designed myself, put on my right hip, with the word BROKEN forming his halo. Broken was the title of a song by my favourite band at the time.


When did you get your last tattoo? I had Aubrey Beardsley’s illustration of Wilde’s Salome holding the head of John the Baptist put on my left shoulder to mark turning thirty a few years back.

Do you have a favorite? I love my Salome.

Is there a special meaning behind any of your tattoos? I only have three tattoos currently, but they each have meaning for me. My angel reminds me of being a teenager, of being totally in love with the lead singer of a band, and of my fascination with fallen angels, which eventually lead me to write The Other Lamb. 

I have a small black and purple tribal design over my heart, which an ex and I designed together and both had done. It may seem weird to have a matching tattoo with someone I haven’t seen for over a decade, but he was an important and formative part of my life, and I don’t believe in erasing your history. I felt strongly enough at the time to have an indelible reminder put on me, so I have to stand by Past Me!

The image of Salome and Iokanaan has always been one of my favourites. I studied Victorian Media and Culture at university and absolutely fell in love with Wilde’s version of the Biblical tale, and Beardsley’s sublime illustrations. It really spoke to me, this idea of infatuation and destroying the thing you love in the pursuit of it. As someone with an obsessive streak a mile wide, it serves as a useful reminder that love and hate are simply two sides of the same planchet!


Are you planning to get anymore? Absolutely. My new WIP is about twins. I am slightly obsessed with identical twins and doubling. There’s something crazily romantic about two people who were once one entity. Actual soulmates in the true Platonic sense. So I think I will get something based on the themes of the new book when I find the right image.



Tell us a little about your books: My book is called The Other Lamb. It’s my debut novel, and I would say it’s a dark and heady tale of fallen angels, demons, bloodlust, lost souls, and rock ‘n’ roll. The novel I am working on currently is a little different. It has mystical elements to it, but it’s inspired by two real life sets of twins. Without giving too much away, this story is concerned with memory, mythology, and belief, and how we each have our own version of the truth. It has lightning, a circus, and bears – so something for everyone! I also write reviews of TV shows, films, books and plays, and blog about my various obsessions – some of which come as a surprise even to me!


Is there anything else you would like to add? If you’re thinking of getting a tattoo, but your mum threatens to disown you if you do come home with one, she’s probably just bluffing! Thank you so much



 If you are an author or blogger with a tattoo and are interested in being our guest on INKED, you can find all of the information HERE.
 
 
 
 
 
 
author image

Christy

Christy is a 27 year old wife, mother, nursing student and self proclaimed book addict. When she's not busy spending time with her family or learning to save lives, you can find her with a book in her hands, and a smile on her face.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0