CBA Discussion | Keeping Track of Books

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:00 AM
 

 

Since I’ve been trading books on YA Book Exchange I’ve had a hard time keeping up with the books that I actually own. There was actually a time where I was getting ready to contact someone about a potential trade but luckily before I emailed them I double checked to make sure that I had a particular book from their wishlist only to realize that I had already traded that book and forgot about it.





I know this probably wouldn’t be a big deal to a lot of people but it drove me crazy. I hate not knowing what books I own and what books I have for trade. So, I decided to fix me up a spreadsheet (you know I love excel) in order for me to stay a little more organized so I don’t go offering up a book that I no longer have.

This is what my spreadsheets look like:
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
TALK TO ME

 
Do you keep a list or spreadsheet of what books you own? How do you keep track of your books? Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve organization?  Do you have any questions regarding my spreadsheets?
 
 

 


5 comments:

  1. I've tried to keep a spreadsheet but I am just TERRIBLE at updating it!! But that's also probably because I keep track of everything on Goodreads fairly well. Goodreads organizes everything for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I don't have that many books in the first place, so I don't need to organize as much as you do-- I just keep them all in a shelf and arrange them by author :D I usually remember where I put a particular book, so that extent of organization works for me :) I don't really participate in book trades, and read anything apart from the books I do own, so it's not that hard-- but as for the more active people like yourself, I think the spreadsheet is a dapper idea! Goodreads shelves could help too, or simply physically separating the two piles. But good luck on your organization Hope you get to fix it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I catalog every single book I own on Goodreads. I have all kinds of shelves (own on Kindle, own in print, TBR on Kindle, TBR on shelf, etc.) and I also utilize the 'private notes' field to make note of where I got the book (from publisher/author, NetGalley, bought, library, etc.). I also export the books I have on Goodreads and download it to my computer, just in case something were to happen to the site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Goodreads to keep track. I like Brianna's ideas as right now, I just track the books I read, but don't have them broken down in anything - except audiobooks and short story collections.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0