Review: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 6:12 PM

Series: The Hybrid Chronicles #1

Format: Hardcover

Source: Library

Pages: 357

Publication Date: September 18, 2012

Publisher: HarperCollins

Goodreads Link: HERE

Buy this book: Amazon

From Goodreads:

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.

 

My Thoughts:


In the futuristic world of What’s Left of Me, everybody is born with two souls inhabiting the same body; each soul has their own personality, likes and dislikes.  Around the age of five is when settling happens, this is where one of the souls would disappear and only the more dominant soul would remain.  Even though Eva and Addie are now 15 years old, they still haven’t settled and both souls are still very much present within their body.  Eva and Addie are considered to be hybrids and the have to keep this a secret from everyone due to the fact that hybrids are considered a threat to civilization.
I’m saddened to say that this world didn’t draw me in like I had hoped it would, I literally had to fight the urge to put it down and pick up a different book.  To me it was a little predictable at times, especially with Hally, I had her figured out from the moment she is introduced to the story.  Another thing that bothered me with this book was a lot of the questions that I had at the beginning of the story didn’t get answered and I was left wondering why everyone is born with two souls and why are hybrids considered a danger to society?  These questions might be answered in the next installment but I’m not sure whether or not I will read it to find out.

Overall, What’s Left of Me was just an okay read for me and I hate to say that because I had heard such wonderful things about it and based on the summary I really thought that I would love it, but unfortunately it didn’t measure up to my expectations. 

Rating:
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Aww, this just sounds so interesting and unique! That sucks it wasn't as good as you'd hoped!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this one didn't draw you in like you'd hoped, I really enjoyed but can see where you are coming from

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concept definitely draws me to the book. My only reservations is how it can be executed well, considering that one of the twins can't do anything.

    Zaira Lynn (Colorado Springs Boiler Service)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0