Early Review: Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

Posted on Friday, May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
Series: Age of X #1

Format: e-ARC from Netgalley

Pages: 464

Publication Date: June 4, 2013

Goodreads Link: HERE

Pre-Order this Book: Amazon


From Goodreads:

In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills.

When Justin and Mae are assigned to work together to solve a string of ritualistic murders, they soon realize that their discoveries have exposed them to terrible danger. As their investigation races forward, unknown enemies and powers greater than they can imagine are gathering in the shadows, ready to reclaim the world in which humans are merely game pieces on their board.

Gameboard of the Gods, the first installment of Richelle Mead’s Age of X series, will have all the elements that have made her YA Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series such megasuccesses: sexy, irresistible characters; romantic and mythological intrigue; and relentless action and suspense.



Review:

First, let me say that I am a huge Richelle Mead fan, I have read and LOVED all of her books, including both her YA and adult series, so when I got approved to review Gameboard of the Gods, the first book in her new Age of X series I was absolutely esctatic. 

I have to say that Gameboard of the Gods starts off very slow, I had to make myself pick up my Kindle to read it.  We get thrown a lot of information about the world that Gameboard is set in and you really have to pay attention to understand what is going on and I will admit that at times I was a little confused, but after I got through the first part of the book, I couldn't put it down.

Mae is a Praetorian, a genetically enhanced solider for the RUNA (Republic of United North America), when she is involved in a fight she is suspended from active duty and given a mission to bring Dr. Justin March back to the RUNA.  Mae doesn't know until after she gets to Panama what the RUNA has in store for her and Justin. They need Justin to help solve series of murders and for Mae to be his bodyguard while he does it. 

Gameboard of the Gods is told in three different POVs; Mae, Justin and Tessa, and while I loved that we got to see what was going on in both Justin and Mae's head, I'm not really sure what the purpose is behind Tessa's POV, unless Mead has some big plans for her in the next book. 

This book full of action and mystery with twists and turns that you won't see coming.  While this world that Mead created can be tough to understand at times, stick with it, it is so worth it in the end.


~This eARC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for an honest review~  

Rating:






Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0