Review | The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2015 12:00 AM

Format: Paperback
Source: Amazon &/or My Bookshelf
Publisher: Little Brown/Poppy
Publication: September 7, 2010
Pages: 280
Genre: YA, Contemporary
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Amazon | Goodreads | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.
But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

My Review

Something to Note: This book has a little heated scenes, but other than that DIVE IN!

The Characters: Bianca is a character that I am back in forth on. Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved her character, but sometimes she just didn't make sense. But, I feel like that's the reason I enjoyed her so much. She was so down to earth, and she had her opinions about certain things, yet at times she went against them. She hated Wesley, then she fell for Wesley - yet continues to go on about how much she totally and utterly hates him. I see a lot of reviews talking about how that annoyed them, but I think that part of the story really goes along with how people act now-a-days. I don't agree with what she did, but she acted how I expected her to, I guess. Anyway, Bianca is just a fun, loving character that I would love to get to know.

Wesley is a snobby, jerk...but I do think that he actually cares about Bianca. I didn't really like his character throughout the book because he was too cocky and he just annoyed me with all of his snood comments. I do appreciate how he was with Bianca and that's the reason that I was able to tolerate him as a character. 

Bianca's two best friends -- they were both so brutally honest and I loved it. I wish that they were in the book a little more than they were.

My Thoughts: This book was amazing in every way...yes, I may not have loved Wesley that much, but Bianca was such a great narrator and she alone made you fall for this book. Her family situations were wonderful and I love how her dad had such a huge impact on what happened throughout the book. I love how every bit of the story went and there were new things that tied everything together so well. 

There is anger, frustration and guilt thrown into this novel and it is played out so beautifully. There are definitely tears...but without any of that, this book would have fell flat on it's face. It is such a quick, wonderful read that I highly recommend. I cannot wait to see the movie (it's been too long & I need to see it).

One Line Wrap Up: Fun-loving, laid-back story about friendship, love, and the struggle of being you. 

Recommended for: people looking for an easy-going, fun read.



author image

Erica

Erica is a 20 year old college student and book lover. When she’s done with studying she’ll always want to relax with a book, of any kind. If she’s not reading she could be caught up in her latest Netflix series or lost in a conversation with her spectacular boyfriend.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0