Discussion | Library Books

Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:30 AM
 
 
I'm sure any reader appreciates the libraries in their town and I'm no exception, I love the fact that I can check out some of the books that I'm not sure about as this saves me money on buying books that I have doubts about. But, I got to thinking, is there a big difference between books that you buy and books that you get at the library?
 
I can only speak for myself here, but I think there is quite a bit of difference between library books vs. books that you buy. What do I mean? Well, here's a few of my habits.
 
* I'm more likely to read a book that I've bought - I can't tell you how many books that I've checked out from the library to read and then return them weeks later NOT READ. I guess I feel more of an obligation to read the ones that I've spent my own money on.
 
* I'm more likely to DNF a library book- This is a really bad habit of mine. There has been quite a few times that I've checked out a book and then just read the first chapter and be like "nah, I'm not really feeling this" and then put it down. I guess it's easier to do that with books that you didn't pay for. A few that I can think of off the top of my head is Jellicoe Road, An Abundance of Katherine's, and Insignia. I'm sure if I would have bought these books, I would have given them more of a chance.
 
* I'm more careful with books that I've bought - While I'm not the most careful person in the world when it comes to my own books (I read in the bathtub and carry books in my purse) I am a little more careful about how I handle my own books vs. how I handle the ones that I borrow from the library. If I'm taking the books back to the library then you can guarantee that when I get in my car, I'm going to sling them in the passenger seat without a second thought whereas if they are my own books I usually sit them down carefully so the covers don't get bent.

 
Talk To Me
 
Do you think there's a difference between library books and books that you buy? Do you have the same problems that I do with library books? What are some of your differences when it comes to books you've bought vs. library books?
 

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0