ARC Book Review | Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton

Posted on Monday, February 2, 2015 12:00 AM


Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: February 10, 2014
My Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars


For readers of A Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games comes an epic new series.

The night Quin Kincaid takes her Oath, she will become what she has trained to be her entire life. She will become a Seeker. This is her legacy, and it is an honor. As a Seeker, Quin will fight beside her two closest companions, Shinobu and John, to protect the weak and the wronged. Together they will stand for light in a shadowy world. And she'll be with the boy she loves--who's also her best friend.

But the night Quin takes her Oath, everything changes. Being a Seeker is not what she thought. Her family is not what she thought. Even the boy she loves is not who she thought.

And now it's too late to walk away.




My Thoughts:



When I saw the cover and read the summary for Seeker, I knew that it would be a book that I loved. While it wasn't the amazing fantasy that I had hoped, I still enjoyed this story.

Quin has been preparing and training her whole life to become a Seeker, and she is finally getting ready to take her Oath. But once she actually becomes a Seeker, she realizes that it isn't what she thought it would be.

The story is interesting and unique, and while the summary reads like a fantasy. In reality it doesn't feel mainly like fantasy, it also has a SciFi feel to it, and maybe a little steampunk. There is a lack of worldbuilding, which was the main reason for my 3 stars. I would have liked more information on the Seekers, and the world they are in. I'm still kind of confused as to what exactly a Seeker is, but I'm hoping that more of the back story will unfold in the future installments. 

This book alternates between four different POVs and I while I liked that we get perspective from other characters, it was sometimes a little hard to keep up with.

Another reason that I knocked off a star was the love triangle. I'm not a huge fan of them, and while the one in this book wasn't as bad of some of the ones that I've read, it was still there and it kind of felt a little awkward to me.  I probably would have enjoyed it more without that aspect.

Overall, Seeker is an interesting story that I believe will appeal to fans of Fantasy, SciFi and Steampunk. I'm really hoping we get more world-building and back story in the next book.
author image

Christy

Christy is a 27 year old wife, mother, nursing student and self proclaimed book addict. When she's not busy spending time with her family or learning to save lives, you can find her with a book in her hands, and a smile on her face.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0